- Start playing the video
- Click CC at bottom right
- Click the gear icon to its right
- Click Subtitles/CC
- Click Auto-translate
- Select language you want
India Variant Cases at UNB, Fredericton Campus Are All Connected
At a press conference in Fredericton on Thursday, April 29, 2021, New Brunswick Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jennifer Russell gave an update on the outbreak at the University of New Brunswick residence, Fredericton campus.
Earlier in the week, Public Health declared an outbreak at Magee House, an apartment-style residence at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton. Residents, family members and staff of Magee House were retested on Wednesday, April 28. Residents and staff of Elizabeth Parr-Johnston residence were tested on Tuesday. So far, all test results from this residence have been negative. All residents and staff are self-isolating. So far, 10 cases are linked to this outbreak.
“The cases in the Fredericton area outbreak are all connected, and this situation illustrates what we are up against,” said Dr. Russell. “This is a virus that can and will spread quickly through casual contact. We must take every measure we can to slow the spread of COVID-19.”
Public Health is working with university officials to continuously reassess the situation and to provide support to those affected by it.
Minister of Education Dominic Cardy was also at the press conference to provide an update on George Street Middle School in Fredericton after positive case of COVID-19 was confirmed at the school this week. Public Health has advised all school staff, students and their families to self-isolate until midnight on Sunday, May 2, to allow for contact tracing and for testing. All test results have been negative so far.
“I know this situation has been stressful for students, staff and their families as they’ve been in isolation,” said Minister Cardy. “I want to thank everyone for their co-operation and participation in testing as our experts from Public Health continue to evaluate the situation. Please continue to follow Public Health advice and get tested.”
Charlotte County television is New Brunswick's only source for independent community television. Since 1993, CHCO-TV has been providing Southwest New Brunswick with locally-produced content made by community it serves.
The mission of CHCO-TV is to promote community media and to encourage, educate and engage residents in Southwestern New Brunswick, to use new media and technology, to improve civic involvement, learn new media skills and enhance the culture, the economy, health and quality of life in New Brunswick.